St. Mary’s Catholic School
The mission of the Wellness Program is to promote and enhance the health and well being of the students and staff at St. Mary’s. The program works to improve the health and well-being of
students and staff and the educational achievement of our students by providing coordinated health,
mental health, and other support services.
1. Teaches consistent scientifically-based nutrition messages throughout the school, classroom,
cafeteria, home, community and media and as part of health education classes and/or stand alone
2. Uses the SD Health Education Standards and addresses nutrition concepts progressively in grades
K through 8;
3. Offers information to families that encourages them to teach their children about health and
nutrition and provide nutritious meals for their families;
4. Staff who are responsible for nutrition education will be adequately prepared and should
participate in professional development activities to effectively deliver an effective program
1. All students will be required to have 1.0 credit of Health/PE to graduate.
2. Students will spend at least 50 percent of physical education class time participating in moderate
to vigorous physical activity.
3. Student involvement in other activities involving physical activity (e.g., interscholastic or
intramural sports) will be promoted and supported.
4. All school students will have at least 20 minutes a day of supervised recess, preferably
outdoors, during which students are encouraged (verbally and through the provision of space and
equipment) to engage in moderate to vigorous physical activity.
5. St. Mary’s will educate and encourage participation in community or club activities.
Other School-Based Activities
1. St. Mary’s will educate students and staff regarding: eating disorders; drugs, alcohol and tobacco;
bullying, harassment, and hazing; violence against self and others.
2. Indoor air quality issues will be investigated.
3. Facilities will be safe, clean and orderly.
4. A district-wide crisis plan has been created, followed, and practiced.
5. Staff will be encouraged to participate in wellness activities.
6. Students will be provided with lessons in hygiene.
7. Students and staff will have adequate space to eat meals in clean, safe, pleasant surroundings and
will have adequate time scheduled as near the middle of the school day as possible to eat, relax
8. Safe drinking water and convenient access to facilities for hand washing and oral hygiene will be
available during all meal periods.
1. Food pricing strategies shall be designed to encourage students to participate in the St. Mary’s lunch program.
2. Procedures shall be in place for providing to families, on request, information about the
ingredients and nutritional values of the foods served.
3. The school food service program complies with USDA regulations and state policies.
5. Menus are planned with input from students, family members, and other school personnel
and should take into account students’ cultural norms and preferences.
6. Students with special dietary needs will be accommodated as required by USDA regulation.
7. School food service departments shall not sell extra portions of desserts, French fries, and/or ice
9. Healthy choices of food and beverages will be offered at school-sponsored events outside the